Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The inception- Megan's point of view



The inception, from my point of view, was merely a distraction from the painful events I was experiencing.  Stephanie and Erin called me and they had just finished a gingerbread house. I was immediately jealous and wanted to make one, too. My girls, being as awesome as they are, agreed to make a second house the next day. I was told to bring wine, powdered sugar, and anything else that struck my fancy, candy wise.  I didn’t know what I was getting myself into. I only knew I wanted in.

I was a complete novice and started by doing whatever they told me. At one point, Erin said, “Hold that,” as I held a wall in place. I asked, “How long do I have to hold this?” “Until is stands on its own,” followed by giggles, was the reply. I don’t remember who said it, but I was not amused. I couldn’t reach my glass of wine! I started practicing bows and little details.
The wine started flowing and the ideas right along with it. It was the most fun I had had in a long time.

We loved our first house and decided that our three brains worked really well together.
Stephanie showed us pictures of the gingerbread competition held in her town. Being full of wine, sugar and bravado, we decided we could do something better than any of those houses and agreed to enter a house in the competition the next year. Obviously, some practice was in order. We made a February house and a Halloween house before our first competition house.
We learned to eat some protein and lay off the sugar to avoid the shakes and headaches.  We checked out books from the library and looked online for ideas. Erin consulted candy experts for ideas and we scoured every candy aisle in every store for more ideas. We started a pinterest board, then another and another. It was addictive, in a good way. We couldn’t wait to try out new ideas! But first, the breaking of the first house. It is tradition that the youngest gets to break the house. With us, that would be Stephanie. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment